The Most Commonly Asked Questions:
Why Bikram Yoga?
Because it works! Consistency, continuity and repetition are the foundation of good practice which is the key make up of Bikram Yoga method.
What is Bikram Yoga?
Also known as “hot yoga”, Bikram Yoga® was developed by Bikram Choudhury and is a 90 minute beginning yoga class comprised of 26 postures (asana) and 2 breathing exercises practiced in a 105°F hot room with 40% humidity. This smart choreography instigates better health from the first visit, and rewards regular practice with glowing health, to name the few:
- Sleep Deeply
- Reduce Stress
- Set Skin Aglow
- Lubricate Joints
- Improve Posture
- Strengthen Heart
- Increase Stamina
- Normalize Weight
- Expand Lungs and Control Breath
- Enhance Physical Performance
- Heal and Prevent Injuries
- Stretch and Tone Muscles
- Increase Spine Flexibility
- Bolster Immune System
- Relieve Chronic Pain
- Enjoy Mental Clarity
Why is the room hot?
The heat helps to:
- Detoxify your body through sweating.
- Protect muscles for deeper stretching.
- Thin the blood to clear the circulatory system.
- Increase heart rate for a better cardio workout.
- Promote thixotrophy, the softening of bodily tissues into an optimal state for reorganization.
How often should I practice?
Everyday if you can!
You may need a few classes to acclimate to the hot and humid room and several more classes before you feel your body begin to cooperate in earnest. Regular practitioners average four or more classes per week. Bikram recommends daily practice and, for a complete overhaul, challenges you to take six classes per week for one or two months.
Is all hot yoga the same?
Bikram brought the concept of Hot Yoga in the cold western hemisphere and now this concept is the health industry buzzword.
However, not all hot yoga systems today are Bikram Yoga, but all Bikram Yoga system are hot yoga, in fact the true hot yoga is only Bikram Yoga.
Authentic Bikram Yoga schools only offer class with the 26 asana sequence postures and 2 breathing exercises.
All of our instructors are certified in the Bikram method of yoga and have completed an intensive nine week training requiring over 500 hours of study. A Certified Bikram Yoga Instructor provides the best possible instruction in the Bikram method.
What if I’m not flexible and/or out of shape?
So are most people when they start out. Yes, really. In fact you have so much more to gain!
This is a beginner’s yoga class designed for you to gain flexibility, strength and fitness. Both your teachers and classmates will encourage you to hang in there because they’ve been there. It’s normal to feel nervous or a little intimidated your first time. This is quite common. Don’t let this prevent you from returning to continue your practice as Bikram Yoga is designed to foster and nurture beginners into more advanced students over time.
Is there a New Student Checklist?
- Pre-registration is not required, but is available online.
- Arrive 20 minutes before any scheduled class and sign in.
- All classes are 90 minutes in a hot room, so arrive hydrated.
- Bring a yoga mat, towel and water bottle (or rent/buy from us).
- Avoid big meals within 3 hours of class.
- Wear light clothing: (Women: leotards/shorts and tank & Men: bathing trunks/shorts)
- Consult your physician about physical conditions or drug prescriptions contraindicated to hot rooms.
- Relax and breathe. Competence and exploration soon come.
What is Studio Etiquette?
- Learn to listen during class. Ask questions before and after class. Class is silent except for the instructor.
- Turn off mobile devices before class; leave them with your personal effects outside the hot room.
- Avoid wearing perfumes, colognes and strong fragrances of any kind.
- No shoes or socks in the studio.
- Please let your instructors know of any medical conditions you may have.
- If you need to take a break, try to stay in the room and sit on your mat until you are ready to resume.
- First timers may set up their mat in the back rows to view more advanced students up front. This makes it easier to follow along by example.
Do I have to sign up for class online?
No, you do not. We do recommend that you use the online schedule whenever you can because it helps to ensure your space and schedule your classes, but you are more than welcome to show up for class without doing so. Either way, please check in at the front desk before class with the instructor who will be checking in students. We will enter your information for you that day.